Monday, July 12, 2010

George Washington then and us today.

I am reading the book, "The Real George Washington", and I find letters written by George Washington in 1774 and a response to the what was happening in this country by the Virginia Legislature at the time to reflect what we are facing today if we substitute our government for the British government. I reproduce parts ofthese letter as follows: "As I observe that government is pursuing a regular plan at the expense of law and justice to overthrow our constitutional rights and liberties, how can I expect any redress from a measure which has been effectually tried already? Shall we, after this, whine and cry for relief when we have already tried in vain? Or shall we supinely sit and see one province after another fall prey to despotism?
I am convinced, as much as I am of my existence, that there is no relief but in their (British government) distress; and I think, at least I hope, that there is public virtue enough left among us to deny ourselves everything but the bare necessaries of life to accomplish this end. This we have a right to do, and no power upon earth can compel us to do otherwise till they have first reduced us to the most abject state of slavery that ever was designed for mankind.
In another letter, George Washington wrote "An innate spirit of freedom first told me that measures which the administration (British) have for some time been and now are most violent pursuing are repugnant to every principle of natural justice."
This was followed by the Virginia Legislature recognizing the vial need for a grass-roots movement, (Tea Party, 912 Project) for an increased stirring in the heart of citizenry. Only then could America unite. Only then would an arrogant Crown-at stubborn Parliament-listen. It seems the more we don't understand history, the more likely we will repeat it. Take our country back was our battle cry then and it is our battle cry today. The only difference is we will do it peacefully, and hopefully the results will be the same. There is another George Washington out there, whether male or female, and we must pray that person will surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment